The Prince of Wales has still not scheduled an investiture amid his visit to the Senedd in Wales.
Kensington Palace has confirmed there will be no official ceremony for Prince William as the 40-year-old royal – who is the first to ascend the British throne – met with the four Welsh Labor leaders, the Tories Welsh, Plaid Cymru and the Welsh Liberal Democrats Wednesday (16.11.22).
The palace said the Duke of Cornwall and Cambridge’s visit was “to deepen his understanding of the issues and opportunities most important to the people of Wales”.
His father, King Charles, was invested as Prince of Wales in 1969, and the future King of England, according to a tweet from ITV Wales political editor Adrian Masters, is “extremely aware of the political controversy that still surrounds the investiture of his father.”
Recently, the first President of Wales, Lord Dafydd Elis-Thomas, claimed that Charles had told him that he would not want to put his son through “what [he] crossed” in the 1960s.
Lord Elis-Thomas said: “…I can tell you in discussions with him when he was still Prince of Wales, when I had cultural responsibilities in the Welsh Government, one of the matters I I raised with him was that I hoped there would never again be an investiture at Caernarfon Castle.
“(Prince Charles) laughed and said, ‘Do you think I want William to go through what I went through?'”
A royal spokesperson previously explained: “At this time it is about deepening trust with the people of Wales and representing the vibrant Wales that it exists today.
“There are no plans for the inauguration yet.”
A recent petition, signed by tens of thousands of people, called for the title to be scrapped, with campaigners claiming the last native Prince of Wales died in the Middle Ages.
King Charles was Prince of Wales for over six decades and was officially invested by the Queen in 1969, in a formal ceremony at Caernarfon Castle.
Charles also studied Welsh history and learned the Welsh language in preparation for the ceremony.